I took this picture of myself the other day.  I had a bunch of errands to run and decided to wear a tank top out.  First time I wore this sort of tank in public.  I sanity-checked myself in the mirror and liked what I saw. So much, in fact, that I just *had* to take a picture. (Yes, I'm not completely past the navel-gazing stage of transition; you'll have to excuse me.) Although I still have quite a bit of muscle, I have arms that (natal/genetic/natural-born/cis/insert term du jour) women would be, and are, very jealous of.  In fact, I've gotten lots of comments on them.  Despite the fact that my biceps are about an inch less around than when I started HRT.


I'm actually to the point where not only can I deal with being a rather muscular woman, I actually like it.  I'm proud of it.  Muscular, strong, confident women are hot.  I think that we as transsexual women need to take advantage of one of the only genetic advantages we possess.  I used to think that after transition, I'd never swim or participate in triathlon again because of the muscle it might build. At this point, I'm fairly certain that I've not done my last triathlon. Not this year, but next. It's a great feeling to shed all these hangups... the more I progress through transition, the more I let go of these insecurities.

I offer this post and photo as an alternative to some of the "femininity coaching" nonsense stuff that you'll see if you spend enough time in Blogistan or the trans world.  There was a time when I'd never have posted a photo of myself in a stereotypically masculine pose, for fear that people would make "women don't do that!  you are SO not a woman!!!" comments.  Here or behind my back.  I'm certain that there are those who will read this blog and make such a comment or have such a thought, but it doesn't matter.  I'm content with who I am whether I look the way I do in the above photo, or when I'm more dressed up.

Maybe I'll give Jillian Michaels a run for her money someday.  ;)

13 comments:

There's one trainer at the local gym who has admired my arms a few times. I think it's great. Women should be strong! And yes, strong women are hot, although I'm not into body builders.

Well, of course you're not into women body-builders. You're not lesbian, remember? ;) Actually, the other day when I was sporting that yellow tank top, the woman at Macy's asked me if I was a body-builder. Heh.

Women come in all shapes and sizes and trying to make us fit into a pretty little box is kind of ridiculous (not that you're not pretty...on the contrary, GORGEOUS!). But when I hear about having to be ultra-femme, it kind of gets to me because it sounds like a lot of the old-timey gate keeper talk I've read about where we have to be girlier than thou to pass through the therapists' offices into the temple of womanhood.

You are seriously an inspiration to me and I hope to get even close to your level of fit (and I don't even smoke! :P )

xoxo

OMG you so remind me of the idealized woman who I drew about twenty-five years ago. That is the lady who my avatar is taken from.


http://hallesfacade.blogspot.com/2010/05/from-young-halle.html


Powerful and all female. Looking very good indeed for that triathalon (the swimming part anyway; show us those runner/rider legs too!).

Seems like I remember you saying you need to start exercising. I respectfully disagree.

I have got to get in better shape.

You look like you could be a personal trainer or something... and it's definitely an attractive look. :)

One of those buried worries is that if the day comes at which I run out of options and start HRT, I'll lose all my musculature. Thanks for proving that it doesn't have to be that way.

And yes, there is nothing unattractive whatsoever about a muscular and fit woman!

"If I was a guy, I'd be all over me right now!"

;-)

Your picture reminds me of this image

I give up on html here is the pedestrian link: http://www.body-pixel.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/lr2.jpg

I have always thought trim, fit, muscular women( not bodybuilders ) are some of the sexiest and prettiest women there are. I think it must come from the self confidence. You look so teriffic ( to repeat GORGEOUS ).

You are an inspiration to say the least. You will never have any trouble turning the guys heads.

Oh So Jealous,

Cynthia

Honey,
Fraid I can't join in the OMG me too parade about the pic cause you look, well you look xactly like you should and that would be, n-o-r-m-a-l! After all, tis the point of all of this isn't it? But what I am really proud of is that you are getting it Sweetie! Women ARE mumltidimensional, oh God, are we ever! But bottom line we are always women, as you are discovering and that dear is a blessed and wonderful thing!

Looking good, girl. No reason not to be proud of that picture.

Post a Comment

me.

My photo




When I transitioned, there just weren't too many blogs out there written by straight, transitioned women. Well, here's one.

I can be reached via email at this address.

Here is my comment policy.

followers.

hits.

counter customizable